Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+

A Better Way for Pine State Services

Originally published: 06.01.10 by Tonya Vinas

How to set up a vehicle-stocking-and-organization program.

Pine State Services, South Portland, Maine, began its program about six months ago for its fleet of 21 vehicles, 10 of which are service vehicles. Pine State Services provides services in plumbing, gas heat, oil heat, air conditioning, refrigeration, and sewer and drain cleaning.

Why did they do it?

“Our guys were ill-prepared when in the field,” explains president Sam Marcisso. “We had too many runners bringing them supplies. It was wasting time.”

Since the program began, Pine State Services has:

  • Gone from three parts runners to one.
  • Sold off excess inventory.
  • Is using less fuel.
  • Is keeping only two days worth of inventory on hand.

“The truck space is a lot cleaner, and all of the trucks are stocked the same way,” Marcisso says, noting that this helps to achieve consistent service and more flexibility in staffing.

Here’s how the program works:

  • The trucks are pre-stocked with 80% of what is regularly needed for service calls. (The other 20% is provided as needed by runners.)
  • The technician is given a materials checklist on a clipboard at the start of the shift. At the end of the shift, he checks off what was used, and turns in the list with his invoices.

Marcisso said the first step the company took was to pretend to stock a truck using a “mock” space on the warehouse floor.

Doing this first — before actually stocking a truck

— allowed the staff to determine exactly how much would fit, what was most important to be included, and how it would all fit together. Once the model was finalized, the company began investing between $1,000 to $2,000 per vehicle in racks, bins, and other storage devices to organize and hold parts, materials, machinery, and tools.

They outfitted one truck a month with about $7,000 worth of inventory. (Marcisso suggests starting with the best technician to build enthusiasm and momentum and to learn best practices as you go along.) And what do the service techs think of this new system?

“They love it,” Marcisso says. “It is so much more efficient. There’s nothing worse than being on the job, and not having the part you need. It’s frustrating and embarrassing.” 

Tonya Vinas is a former editor of HVACR Business.


Articles by Tonya Vinas

Clear, Clean Designs Connect with Customers

Tops in Trucks winners say more with less as branding takes the spotlight
View article.


Electric Vehicles Offer Economical Solution

Are electric vehicles right for your company? Many contractors are unsure, as was Tom Robichaud, owner and president of Precision Plumbing Heating Electric in Boulder, CO. The CEO of one of Precision’s long-time clients, Boulder Electric Vehicle, convinced Robichaud to take a test drive because he thought the truck would be a perfect fit for the short routes service technicians drive daily. After that test drive and some additional research, Robichaud became an electric vehicle advocate.
View article.


Safety For All

The number of Spanish-speaking skilled workers in the hvacr trade is increasing, a trend that presents many challenges to business owners. Fortunately, many groups have started to provide materials in Spanish focused on training and safety.
View article.


Earth, Nature Fleet Designs Stay Popular

One trend that shows no sign of ending soon is to use fleet designs that promote energy savings and environmental responsibility
View article.


Tops in Trucks 2011

One of the most powerful mobile marketing tools HVACR contractors have is their fleet. This year’s winners have fantastic-looking fleets that also support each contractor's branding and value proposition.
View article.